Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC SSID-Switching Interval

Hello,

I have WLC with Cisco APs connected in different floors of my company.   The isse i am facing is when one AP gets down/disconnected at 1st-Floor, so all my wireless clients connect and gets signal from  2nd-Floor-AP,  at this time all wireless clients receive weak signal, that is obvious because the AP exists at 2nd-floor. the issue is when my AP at 1st-Floor comes up so still my Wireless clients at 1st-floor seem to be connectedto 2nd-Foor AP, because they receive weak signal. and this continues unless i restart my WLC or wait for 30 min, so that my 1st-floor clients connect back to 1st-floor AP.

My question is :  is there any setting on WLC to change this and make wlc to not wait for 30-min

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: WLC SSID-Switching Interval

Hi Imran,

Roaming (client moving from one AP to other AP) characteristics are mostly client depentent, which means client will decide when to move from one AP to other AP depending on various parameters and WLC has very little role to play here.

What devices are these client devices? Are they laptops? When you say weak signal how much signal is that on dbm?

There may be few parameters which you can fine tune on the client devices depending up on type of clients like Roaming Aggresiveness, Roaming Threshold etc..

Another option which you could try on WLC is to disable lower data rates (may be from 1 to 11) so that clients tend to move other AP's which offer higher rates.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I agree with Najaf... You need to tweak your data rates and maybe power. You probably have the defaults which has 1mbps along with 2, 5.5 and 11 as mandatory. This means that devices are allowed to connect all the way to 1mbps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
2 REPLIES
Gold

Hi Imran,

Roaming (client moving from one AP to other AP) characteristics are mostly client depentent, which means client will decide when to move from one AP to other AP depending on various parameters and WLC has very little role to play here.

What devices are these client devices? Are they laptops? When you say weak signal how much signal is that on dbm?

There may be few parameters which you can fine tune on the client devices depending up on type of clients like Roaming Aggresiveness, Roaming Threshold etc..

Another option which you could try on WLC is to disable lower data rates (may be from 1 to 11) so that clients tend to move other AP's which offer higher rates.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I agree with Najaf... You need to tweak your data rates and maybe power. You probably have the defaults which has 1mbps along with 2, 5.5 and 11 as mandatory. This means that devices are allowed to connect all the way to 1mbps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content