Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC to Dell Powerconnect 5324

Hello,

We have a Dell Powerconnect 5324 in storage that I was going to connect another of our WLC's to just so we dont need to purchase any other hardware. I am running into a problem where I cant ping the WLC Wireless interface from the directly connected switch but I can ping the Management interface. I can also ping the other WLC on the network (Directly connected to an HP Switch) and ping both the default gateways, its just 10.50.11.3 I cannot ping. My WLC interface config looks like this:

Management:

Port: 1              (Going to port 1 on the switch)

Vlan: untagged

IP: 10.50.10.191

Mask: 255.255.255.0

GW: 10.50.10.1

Wireless: 

Port: 2              (Going to port 2 on the switch)

Vlan: 11

IP: 10.50.11.3

Mask: 255.255.255.0

GW: 10.50.11.1

And my directly connected Dell Switch looks like this:

<Only adding relevant information>

vlan database

vlan 11

interface range ethernet g(2,21)

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 11

I tried using port 2 on the Dell as both a switchport and a trunk, the reason why I feel it needs to be a trunk is because the HP switch is working and the port is "tagged" so I assumed I needed a trunk port.

Does anyone know what else may need to be done in order to get this working?

Thanks,

Everyone's tags (3)
13 REPLIES

Re: WLC to Dell Powerconnect 5324

I would make sure that you use dot1q encapsulation on the trunk on the dell switch. It does have to be a trunk port and it should work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

You have to setup the vlan on the wlc as well. The actual port is a trunk automatically on the wlc if I remember it correctly.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Alex,

The WLC port already has the VLAN assigned to it, in my config posted above the Wireless Network is in VLAN 11. Dot1q is already being used on the Dell so with everything configured as you said, it is not working.

Silver

Given the configuration you provided you need a trunk port that is tagging the vlans with a native vlan set. Your management interface is untagged so that needs to be configured as the native vlan on the trunk port. Best practices however state that you should tag all interfaces, including the management interface. So I would specify a VLAN tag for your management interface and then make sure that the Dell PowerConnect switch is a trunk port with your required VLANs being allowed.

Blake,

I guess I am getting mixed signals on what to do with the management interface. Some people are telling me best practice is to leave it untagged and it will use the native VLAN and then others are saying tag it. Is it just personal preference?

Also, the management interface isnt the problem, its the Wireless interface (port 2 on the WLC to port 2 on the switch). I can access the management interface just fine but I cant ping the WLC port.

Another thing to add, I already have a WLC on our network where the management int is untagged and the wireless interface is tagged as VLAN 11 and it works just fine. The problem for me seems to be this dell switch as it works correctly on the HP.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Kyle,

From version 6.x, it is best practice to tag your managment vlan.  You don't have to, but if you are doing QoS, you should.  Now as far as pining, you only should be able to ping your maangment ip not any other ip from a dynamic interface on the WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, I can go back and tag those then. Thank you for the clarification.

For the pinging, I can ping 10.50.11.2 which is the dynamic interface of the other WLC on our network. If I am not able to ping then that is ok, I guess my bigger problem is anyone connecting to the WLC off the Dell switch, they can connect to the network but arent getting an IP address from the DHCP Server (which i have set as the one on the primary WLC off the HP Switch). As a test i tried pinging that interface from the directly connected dell switch and wasnt able to so i attributed that as the problem but like you said if I am not supposed to be able to ping it then I am having some sort of traffic/config problem.

Each wlc needs to have a dhcp scope, you can't have one wlc be a dhcp server. You need to create a scope on each and make sure the scope is not overlapping.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

That would be the error in my ways. Thank you Scott.

I will make those changes now and let you know if that solves the problem

Let me know it that works. Also, make sure dhcp proxy is enabled when using the wlc as a dhcp server.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

I was able to get the laptop an IP address now and made sure that DHCP proxy is enabled but still cant ping anything else from the laptop or ping the Laptop from the switch. So the way everything is connected:

Internet -> ASA -> HP (layer 3) <---Trunk between buildings---> HP (Layer 3) -> Dell (Layer 2) -> WLC -> AP -> Laptop

The WLC connected to the underlined HP is working just fine, but I am wondering if thats because its default gateway is directly connected. On the trunk between the buildings I have the trunk port untagged in VLAN 10. I had to do this because the underlined HP switch has a tagged trunk going to a Cisco switch.

So the WLC in bold is the one we are working with, the dell behind it has switchport 2 in trunk mode allowing vlan 11 across. Vlan 11 is configured on the WLC for the Wireless Network and it is assigned to port 2 on the WLC.

My main background is in Cisco routing and switching so this whole tagged/untagged concept is a little foreign, but is the trunk between the buildings causing the problem? From the Dell I can ping both the LAN gateway and the Wireless gateway so I can see intervlan routing is working but since its an untagged trunk would make sense as to why the Laptop cant ping its default gateway?

Any other ideas on what to try? I am going to take another look this morning at the setup and see what I may have missed.

Bronze

WLC to Dell Powerconnect 5324

What is the model of WLC you are working with ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content