Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC upgrade license and access point

Hi everyone,

I need suggestion regarding wlc 5508  upgrade license. Right now i have 150 license for access points. There will be upgrade around 300 access points. So we are planning to buy new license until the maximum capacity of 5508 (500 licenses).

Our management ip address is 192.168.50.x/24 . so all the access point are pointed to this management ip address (in the same subnet)

First question,

Because there will be an upgrade to around 450 access point. The current management ip address will not be enough.

Please, give me the  best suggestion ?

Should i create another management ip address ? or I need to make a bigger subnet using the current management ip address ?

if i create a bigger ip address, the current access points must be set again yups ?

Second question

There will be a new link connected to the wlc, and i want to create new user subnets.

what is the best practices for this matter ?

if there are better suggestion, please let me know, i am still learning about wireless

I have attached the topology.

Thank you

Fanie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC upgrade license and access point

For an example, a 5508 can support up to 500 AP's, and the AP's can be in one large subnet or be in many different subnets and or even different locations. As long as the ap knows how to discover the WLC or the ap already had joined the WLC, then the AP's don't have to be on the same subnet as the WLC. The easiest way to have AP's join is to stage them on the same subnet as the WLC management and then move them to a different subnet. I would probably have no more than 100 AP's per subnet, but that's me. Stage some AP's on the management subnet that the WLC is on and then when the AP's join and complete downloading code, change the switch port Vlan and shut and no shut the port. The ap will come back up and join the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
6 REPLIES

I would typically not put that many AP's in the same subnet as the WLC is on. You might as well create 3-5 subnets and place AP's in its own Vlan. Once the AP's have joined the WLC you can move them to a new subnet of you want. It's when you have new AP's that have not joined the WLC is when you will need to use option 43, DNS or broadcast forwarding to allow the ap to find the WLC.

-Scott

thank you for the design suggestion.

The problem is with the management ip address. We are planning to add 300 new access points. But currently there use class C management ip addressess.

If we change the management ip addresses, will the existing access points lose connection to the wlc ?

Is it possible to add secondary management ip address in the wlc ? So there will be two management ip address.

what is the best suggestion regarding this migration ?

VIP Purple

Hi Ario,

You can not have 2 management address on wlc.

Only way to change management IP of WLC  or PUT your AP in diferent subnet but make sure that connectvity must be there between both subnet.(You will need ip helper command for diff subnets)

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

AP's can be in a different subnet than the WLC. You can use option 43, DNS or broadcast forwarding to have the AP's join the WLC.

-Scott

For an example, a 5508 can support up to 500 AP's, and the AP's can be in one large subnet or be in many different subnets and or even different locations. As long as the ap knows how to discover the WLC or the ap already had joined the WLC, then the AP's don't have to be on the same subnet as the WLC. The easiest way to have AP's join is to stage them on the same subnet as the WLC management and then move them to a different subnet. I would probably have no more than 100 AP's per subnet, but that's me. Stage some AP's on the management subnet that the WLC is on and then when the AP's join and complete downloading code, change the switch port Vlan and shut and no shut the port. The ap will come back up and join the WLC.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content