Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC upgrade

hi! I'm planning to upgrade my WLC5500 from version 7.0.x to 7.6.x.

I've 2 WLCs with one served as a Primary and the other one as a Backup Unit. Currently all the APs are associated to the Primary Unit. The APs will only fall back to the backup WLC when the Primary unit failed.

My question would be:

1) Can I upgrade the Backup unit first, and move a few APs to the backup unit to make sure everything is working before I upgrade the Primary unit?

Will that plan work fine?

2) If my WLC is out of maintenance contract, can I still do this upgrade? Does it work like those VMware licensing, whereby I need the license to go from 4.x to 5.x?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Both wlc have AP licences  or

Both wlc have AP licences  or its in HA  ?

Your question answer:

- If you have AP licences on both wlc then you can upgrade either one first, it doesn't matter.

- If you have HA Setup then use this:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-43571

2.Yes still you can upgrade but you need the 7.6 version image.

Regards

dontforget to rate helpful posts

hi! how do i check whether i

hi! how do i check whether i;ve HA setup? This HA feature is only available for ver 7.3 onwards right?

For me, i can only see that under the Wireless AP>Details of AP> Under the high availability tab, the Primary and Secondary Controllers are configured.

After upgrading the HA is off by default right?

The no. of license is the one indicated at the Monitor page just above the wireless controller's graphical picture, right?

Thanks.

VIP Purple

Yes HA is introduced in 7.3

Yes HA is introduced in 7.3 version.

I think right now you have 7.0 version on wlc means you have two wlc each having AP license.

Upgrade procedure: You can upgrade either one, it doesnt matter.

HA tab under wireless >AP is for AP failover.

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi abcd.8888,1. Yes you can

Hi abcd.8888,

1. Yes you can upgrade the Secondary first and please make sure it has sufficient license to support AP's

You are not in HA as it is supported from 7.3 code.

2. Yes its easy to upgrade you just need the latest code from Cisco.com website.

Recommended code is 7.6.120.0

3. Yes on the monitor page it says the number of supported AP's

Hall of Fame Super Gold

1) Can I upgrade the Backup

1) Can I upgrade the Backup unit first, and move a few APs to the backup unit to make sure everything is working before I upgrade the Primary unit?

I've got a better idea for you.  

1.  Upload the new firmware to the two controllers.  DO NOT REBOOT the primary controllers when you are prompted.  You can reload the secondary controller.

2.  Save the configuration. 

3.  On the WLC with all the APs, go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration.  Scroll down to the bottom under the heading  "AP Image Pre-Download" and choose "Download Primary". 

4.  Go Monitor > All APs and click Details and scroll to the right-hand.  Look under "Download Status".  Wait until all the APs have their respective "Download Status" to DONE and then you reload the primary WLC.  

What will happen is the APs will be loaded with the new IOS.  So the APs and WLC will reload simultaneously and cut your wireless outage to a bare minimum.

Bronze

Hi,yes if you have license,

Hi,

yes if you have license, then you can upgrade it by the way which you have.

check the below video for understanding how many ways we have to upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URxlmmZIjy8

Views
Helpful
Replies