Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc version

edondurguti
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can I have two WLCs with different verssions on the same mob-ility group? ex 7.0.x.x and 7.2.x.x?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not reommended, unless you are doing anchoring.

The problem is if you have clients that can roam from one ap on one code to another ap on another code, you could expereince problems.

But, if you were anchoring, from say a foreign controller to a anchor controller, I understand that is supported without any issues.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its not reommended, unless you are doing anchoring.

The problem is if you have clients that can roam from one ap on one code to another ap on another code, you could expereince problems.

But, if you were anchoring, from say a foreign controller to a anchor controller, I understand that is supported without any issues.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thnx.

I want 7.0.x.x to support 1231 APs and 7.2.x.x to support ISE 1.1.1

does 7.2 support 1231?

No, according to the cisco wlc matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2.html#wp868108

1230 support stops at 7.0

btw -- Thanks for supporting the rating system! We all apprecate it !

off-topic @George, I think you use ISE only for profiling, not posturing, how do you profile PCs? I use dhcp option for iphones and it works fine  but my laptops come up as UnKnown.(Discard this message if you are not using ISE)

thnx

You had the WGB ISE question, right ?

Profiling is a 'art' more than a 'rule'. Take your iphone and name it "iPad" and see what happens to your profile rules .

As for PCs, you have a lot more probes "trys" to properly profile a device. On a PC you can go deeper than a "i" device.

Yup I had that quesiton, I understand if I name my iphone "ipad" its gonna change, I've seen it uses DHCP hostname.

I dont' need to differentiate between ipad/iphones, so I can just make a rule if it contains OUI=Apple, and I'm fine.

Can't seem to make the pc come up as a workstation, its still unknown

Im really glad you brought that WGB question up, becuase I havent tested that. Im curiuos, are you able to add the WGB to a MAB list ?

As for iphone / ipad I agree.

Is the PC wired or wireless?

I've replied to that post aswell.

Honestly, I haven't messed with MAB or what so ever, I use Active Directory to authenticate them to ISE, I didn't have alot of time but I noticed when using internal store it didn't work, for some weird reason I ended up using my own ACTIVE Directory username and it authenticated  and work, even PC behind the WGB worked.

ISE profiled it as CISCO ACCESS point and I've set a rule if CISCO ACCESS point switch VLAN to 40 or whatever.

This is all in central switching, I wish it worked on HREAP but I dont' think it does, but I will try it .

PC is connecting wirelessly.

I recall if you use 802.1X and point to AD, it will not use internal store even if it fails. Dont deposit that check, .

Cool, so the WGB did work, but when you move it to vlan 30 -- all the clients behind the bridge moved with it right .. no issues?

PC -- What probes do you have on? It may be best and you should consider agents. If it states unknown, you should make sure the OUI list is updated. You should see something.. Its been a few months since I played with my ISE box ..

I'm really stuck on 7.0.2xx cuz of WGBs and then I need HREAP support for ISE which makes me upgrade to 7.2.x.x

I have two WLCs in m.obility group and i was thinking to have 7.2.x.x on one 7.0.x.x on another to support my WGBs.

Yes the client behind it was put in the same VLAN.

Sorry, I am not sure I understand ..

You need 7.0.x becuase of WGB, why ?

HREAP support and ISE is only on 7.2 ?

Thanks

Exactly, that's what I've figured so far.

I feel like driving a lamborgini in the jungle, I have: ISE,WLC but yet wgbs and 1200s APs lol

LOL, but still ... I need to ask WHY ?