Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

WLC2106 - Virtual Interface DNS host name will not resolve

Hello

I have a WLC2106 with lightweight access points using WebAuth as the authentication method.

At the moment it works fine when the virtual interface does not have a DNS host name, i.e. it intercepts the traffic and goes to the virtual interface IP specified for the client to authenticate using WebAuth.

I have just tried to add a name for certifiate purposes and it now intercepts the traffic and sends the client to the hostname instead of the ip address.... this does not resolve and the page can not be displayed, so I have reverted to the original config.

This being said, I know that if each client had a host file, that would work, or, if we pointed them to another DNS server internally, that might work, however, they do not have access to an internal DNS server on he LAN they are on. Does anyone have any suggestions?????

Thanks

Anthony

3 REPLIES

Re: WLC2106 - Virtual Interface DNS host name will not resolve

For  you to able to use the FQDN under the virtual interface, the DNS server provided to the client must b able to resolve name to ip address.  For you to be able to use the certificate, you need to use a DNS server that is under your administrative control, to be able to add the A record.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Community Member

I'm investigating solutions for the same problem. Reason is also certificate.

The guest SSID is connected to a non-routable vlan which leads to the DSL router and DNS servers from the ISP servers are provided to the client.

How is this in generally done to let this work?

- create a record eg. something.domain.com - 1.1.1.1 at an ISP

- ... ?

I doubt your ISp would add this A record for you.  The DNS server you give to your guests generally needs to be under your administrative control for this purpose.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content