Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC2504 Mgmt Interface and WLAN

y_ananthan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

Can we configure management interface and WLAN in same VLAN ?. I need to configure management interface IP to 192.168.10.1 (GW192.168.10.254) and WLAN for users in same subnet. Is it possible ?

Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In small scale deployment, yes.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

For what reason?

Its best practice to seperate your management traffic from your user traffic.

There is a small site implementaion and customer preferred to use single VLAn for management and user (data).

Yes... you can map the WLAN to the management interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

just one more question... In that case , for 2504 do we need to create ap-manager interface ?

No , on 2504 you dont need it.

AP-manager interface – Not required for the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller

The management interface is the default interface for in-band management of the controller and connectivity to enterprise services such as AAA servers. The management interface is also used for communications between the controller and APs. The management Interface is the only consistently "pingable" in-band interface IP address on the controller. The management interface will act like an AP manager interface by default.

Regards

thanks a lot...

The only time I would use an AP-Manager is working on the older equipment in which is was required.  The newer equipment.... NO WAY....  Others have posted because they have reasons to believe that they need to isolate the AP traffic... nah.... doesn't work that way.  As sandeep mentioned, everything has to hit the management interface anyway's, well with the newer equipment.  DOn't even read the WLC 2504 basic configuration guide because it shows you the AP-Manager stuff which can get confusing and that's probably why people do it.  Run at least v7.4.110.0 MR1 or v7.4.121.0 MR2 for stability.... only upgrade to v7.5 or v7.6 if you need features.  At least on v7.4, you can LAG all 4 ports ont he 2504 and create an etherchannel on the switch.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks a lot..

One of the main reason why I refuse to configure AP-Manager IP address on newer model of WLC is the amount of available IP address I have.  In 4400/WiSM-1, you need to have two IP addresses (AP-Manager, Management) of the same subnet, one for Service port.

If I have to follow that now:  One for Service  port, two IP address (AP-Manager, Management) PLUS one for Redundancy ... No way.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card