Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC8500 won't boot after initial console config

Hello,

I'm having an issue trying to get 2 WLC 8500 to boot which have the same issue.  After initially configuring the management ip, service port, etc. via serial console, saving and restarting - the boot up session hangs at the "Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet Boot Agent v5.2.7".  I've tried power cycling both units a couple times via the front panel power button, reconfiguring the BIOS to not boot to network and select the hard drive as the first boot device, but I can't seem to get past this.

Logs below

Configuration correct? If yes, system will save it and reset. [yes][NO]: yes

Configuration saved!

Resetting system with new configuration...

Configuration saved!

Resetting system with new configuration...

SoftDog: Unexpected close, not stopping watchdog!

umount: /mnt/wlc: device is busy

umount: /mnt/wlc: device is busy

please save console output below and send to DE

USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND

/mnt/wlc:            root       3530 f.c.. licensed

INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal

Stopping portmap daemon....

Sending all processes the TERM signal... done.

Sending all processes the KILL signal... done.

Stopping hotplug subsystem:

pci

pci      [success]

usb

usb      [success]

isapnp

isapnp   [success]

ide

ide      [success]

input

input    [success]

scsi

scsi     [success]

done.

Starting reboot command: reboot

Rebooting...

Restarting system.

Platform Initalization Complete

System x3550 M3

UEFI Build Ver: 1.11    IMM Build Ver: 1.25   Diagnostics Build Ver: 9.32

2 CPU Packages Available at 5.86GT/s Link Speed

16384MB Memory Available at 1067MHz in Independent Channel Mode

Start boot option

~whitespace removed~

<F1> Setup          <F2> Diagnostics    <F12> Select Boot Device

Boot Failed. CD/DVD Rom

Boot Failed. Floppy Disk

Please wait, initializing legacy usb devices...Done                                                                                                                                                                                             Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet Boot Agent v5.2.7                                Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation                                    All rights reserved.                                                           

I'm stuck at this point on both units.  Seems like an issue someone must have come accross before.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Cheers,

Greg

Update:  Console is currently connected via Cyclade terminal at an off-site location.  An RMA has been ordered and both old and new units will be tested onsite with a laptop serial connection and Putty next week.

3 REPLIES

Hi, did you make it work?. I

Hi, did you make it work?. I have a recently purchased 8500 and now I am facing the same issue.

thanks

AC

As soon as I changed the USB

As soon as I changed the USB-Serial cable converter and connect a PROLIFIC instead of the TRENDNet that I had, I could access right away the WLC 8500. I have been using the TRENDNet for a long period of time with no issues connecting to Cisco Devices so I would have to take a look on this.

I reboot completely the WLC and now I can see everything on the console connection. I am attaching to this case a brief procedure with screenshots that I made just in case that somebody else face the same problem.

AC

Abraham is on the right track

Abraham is on the right track.  The serial interface on these systems seems really sensitive.  Once we removed the Cyclade serial connection, the 8500 had no issues booting up.  I had no issues with a couple different standard USB->Serial adapters on a laptop but haven't tested any other out of band console server type appliances.

Views
Helpful
Replies