Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLCs and APs

Hi guys,

I just stepped into Wireless after many years in R&S and Security. I followed some videos, read about LWAPs and WLCs, installed WLC as VM and plan to add 1st LWAPP.

Before that I have a curiosity I can't make it up:

If I setup my WLC as books say with trunk to access the entire network VLANs, then I setup three dynamic interfaces, bind each to the right VLAN, finally create three WLANs and bind them with my previous config, this would mean I almost configured the WLC (we'll skip authentication for now)?

Now as I read there is an automatic process: LWAP boots and choose the only WLC available. From this moment, docs said that WLC will push the configuration to the AP.

My question is: will the WLC push all WLANs configured? How can I configure the controller to only push two out of the three configured
WLANs ?

Or if I have 5 APs how can configure to push all three Wireless_Networks to three APs and for the remaining two APs, push the config with only one WLAN.

Thanks in advance!

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: WLCs and APs

Hi Florian,

q1:

Ans: Yes WLC will push all WLANs. If you want only 2 to enable then u must disable the 3rd wlan in WLC.

q2:

Ans: This questioin is related to APgroupes.

defualt-group broadcast all the ssid(WLANs). Then you can create another group and put other 2 APs in that group and assign only one WLAN which u want.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1401207

Hope it helps.

Regards

7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Florian,

q1:

Ans: Yes WLC will push all WLANs. If you want only 2 to enable then u must disable the 3rd wlan in WLC.

q2:

Ans: This questioin is related to APgroupes.

defualt-group broadcast all the ssid(WLANs). Then you can create another group and put other 2 APs in that group and assign only one WLAN which u want.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1401207

Hope it helps.

Regards

WLCs and APs

Thanks mate, really appreciate both the answer and the link!

Would this still be true if I am to use FlexConnect?

I have a real scenario with one WLC, 8 LWAPP up&running at one site and now I have to add 5 more APs from another site through a MPLS connection.

Basically I have to create one group for the 1st site, then a 2nd group for the second site? I feel that FlexConnect makes this a bit different as cannot create those WLANs because there are no local Vlans to associate with, right?

Regarding your query-

will the WLC push all WLANs configured? How can I configure the controller to only push two out of the three configured
WLANs ?

The answer is YES.

Cisco Employee

WLCs and APs

all the WLAN id's will be pushed on to the AP's connected to the controller untill and unless AP group is assigned and respective WLN is assigned..

WLCs and APs

Ok, fine enough. What about my previous question:

I have a real scenario with one WLC, 8 LWAPP up&running at one site and now I have to add 5 more APs from another site through a MPLS connection.

Basically I have to create one group for the 1st site, then a 2nd group for the second site? I feel that FlexConnect makes this a bit different as cannot create those WLANs because there are no local Vlans to associate with, right?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

WLCs and APs

Florin,

If you want to go down FlexConnect/H-REAP, you need to ensure there is local authentication at the site.  Without local authentication, when the WAN link goes down, the site will NOT be able to accept new clients.  Existing clients will still remain connected to the wireless but if the existing clients should disconnect (when the WAN link fails and you don't have local authentication), then these clients won't be able to get back in.

You can configure AP Groups even with FlexConnect.  Heck, if you have a WLC and running 7.4.X, you can even add Radio Groups.  With AP Groups, you specify which SSID each AP can transmit.  With Radio Groups, you can specify each AP what data rates to use. 

WLCs and APs

Thank you Leo!

I believe it's done for this thread. I will open another one with more FlexConnect specific scenario.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content