cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE linux service will not start

par13
Level 1
Level 1

I'm troubleshooting a WLSE that will not start. Following Cisco documentation, I have use the command service WCS start. It seems like something is happening and then it says failed to start.

Does any one have encounter this situation have a suggestion before I reload the software from the cd?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok so the location appliance setup is done via CLI.

A few things you need to know:

-make sure you dont have more than 5 minutes time offset on the clock between the location server and the WCS server

-make sure you are using a version of location server compatible with WCS. The way to check are the release notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6386/prod_release_notes_list.html

Setup Script: /opt/locserver/setup/setup.sh : this is to run the setup on your location server

Once that is done, make sure you can ssh to your location server and then you can add it to your WCS. You need to have at least a WCS+Location license for that to work.

You will use admin/admin as username password to connect to the Location server from WCS.

Other useful things from the CLI of the location server:

Version: cat /etc/locserver/conf/version.txt

Logs: /opt/locserver/logs

Install Log: /opt/locserver/Cisco_Wireless_Location_Appliance_InstallLog.log

Start location Appliance: /etc/init.d/locserverd start

Stop Location Appliance: /etc/init.d/locserverd stop

Check which WCS are connected to the location server: /etc/init.d/locserverd status

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

The command to run from the bin folder of wcs is ./StartWCS

If that doesnt help,check the log in opt/WCSx.x/webnms/logs/launchout.txt for errors.

Ok, I found the WLSE can't resolve its own name.

I'm adding the dns information into the host file.

It seems to be working now....

Thanks

After updating the dns name and ip address, the licenses no longer works.

Is there a fix for this?

License works by hostname.

TAC can rehost your license if needed, you need to open a case with us. Else roll back to the previous hostname and add it to your DNS.

HTH

thanks for the refer, licensing department was very helpful.

As far the Wireless Lan Locator, is there something to manage thru the web or thru CLI?

thanks

WLC , Wireless LAn Controller? That is on GUI or CLI.

Not sure what you mean by Wireless Lan Locator.

Please rate helpful posts :)

Not Lan Locator, location server...

I'm seen lots of error looking for an ip that do not exist.

I'm not sure if this appliance has a web gui or everything is done thru CLI.

Thanks

Ok so the location appliance setup is done via CLI.

A few things you need to know:

-make sure you dont have more than 5 minutes time offset on the clock between the location server and the WCS server

-make sure you are using a version of location server compatible with WCS. The way to check are the release notes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6386/prod_release_notes_list.html

Setup Script: /opt/locserver/setup/setup.sh : this is to run the setup on your location server

Once that is done, make sure you can ssh to your location server and then you can add it to your WCS. You need to have at least a WCS+Location license for that to work.

You will use admin/admin as username password to connect to the Location server from WCS.

Other useful things from the CLI of the location server:

Version: cat /etc/locserver/conf/version.txt

Logs: /opt/locserver/logs

Install Log: /opt/locserver/Cisco_Wireless_Location_Appliance_InstallLog.log

Start location Appliance: /etc/init.d/locserverd start

Stop Location Appliance: /etc/init.d/locserverd stop

Check which WCS are connected to the location server: /etc/init.d/locserverd status

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: