Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA(2) PSK recover from running config Wlan5500 controller

cco_heerema
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to regain the PSK from the security tab from a 5500 controller in clear text ?

I need to check the current used password without resetting it, but I fail to find the password in the configuration (CLI & web interface)

Obviously I do have admin access to my controller.

Kind regards,

M van Mierlo                  

2 Replies 2

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With old browsers when the hidden password was stored as a clear text there wew programs to reveal the asterisks into letters. There was a software called showpass, show password (or somehing similar) to do so.

Modern browsers save the password hashed so you cant reveal the cleartext password via the mentioned tool.

The point that i dont know is if the browser retrieved the cleartext key or not. The wlc would probably hash the PSK before retrieving it is hidden format into the browser.

P.s: the mentioned tool worked for me with IE only for saved password by the browser.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only WEP can be recovered from WLC and PSK can't. However, if you have used WCS then it is possible to recover PSK from the template it used to create the wlan. if the WLAN was set up with a WLAN template on WCS and the key had not been changed since the template was created. It may be in the template in the clear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: