Views
Helpful
Replies

Approving Manager Question

Laini Pettyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

We are using RC2008.1

We have a requirement for a requester to be able to select an approving manger in the order form. So I was thinking of pulling in the info and storing it into a table in our DB. This information is not stored in our LDAP. It is stored in a Lotus notes DB and a Web service. So we have two options to pull in the data.

I was thinking we could pull in the names from the web service into a table we create. Has anyone done anything like this?

If you use Service Link to connect to a web-service, the issue is the update kicks off onSubmit, I would like it to update onLoad or maybe schedule updates.

Could someone suggest an alternative solution?

Has anyone changed the Person popup to a limited set of people in the LDAP?

7 Replies 7

David Lucey
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried using a data retrieval rule to connect to the Lotus Notes DB? You could have a field where the user starts typing the name (assuming they know it) then clicks a select button, which uses what the user entered to search the DB and return a short results list in a dropdown where the user can select the appropriate person.

Laini Pettyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

I wish I was that easy.

You can not connect to a LN DB using data retrieval. I don't think the newscale driver in Weblogic can connect to non-relational Databases.

Thanks.

David Lucey
Level 1
Level 1

Have you heard of NotesSQL? Not sure if it will work for you, but it's an ODBC driver for Lotus Notes. Here's the IBM page on it: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/lotus/products/notesdomino/notessql/

Hope it helps!

Laini Pettyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

No I haven't. I need to ask the team that owns the Lotus Notes DB if this is an option. Do they have a driver for Weblogic so I can set up a connection for data retrieval rules?

David Lucey
Level 1
Level 1

Not positive, but it shouldn't matter which App server you are using, the driver will be available whereever it's installed. You might want to check with your App server team on that.

Laini Pettyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Ok Thanks

Ant Erickson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Laini,

Unfortunately our solution was the same as David's suggestion.  We have an Identity Management database that is currently SQL so we reference that using data retrieval rules and a function call.  That is, we have a SQL function in the database called findmanager(x,y) where X is the unique identifier for the customer, and Y is the authorisation level (managers, executives, etc).  When we call the data retrieval rule we use a SQL statement like: findmanager(UID, C) and it returns the manager information which we populate in.

One thing we're working on too, is having that IDM database right back in to our Active Directory solution; as it's far faster and more natural for the application to address it that way, than look-ups (particular as it's possible that a person does not exist in IDM yet).

Thanks,

Ant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: