How can I set up a task so I can just use it to attach an email notice, then automatically close the task, so the next task in the delivery plan will become active?
Use the ServiceLink Dummy Adapter to create an auto-close Agent that will automatically close any task delegated to that Agent.
Then create your 2 tasks with their respective conditions and corresponding email templates, and associate them each with this Agent (in the Workflow Type dropdown list on the General sub-tab for the task).
Only one of the tasks will fire (based on the condition), and that task will be automatically closed by the Agent.
CREATING AN AUTO-CLOSE AGENT
(1) In ServiceLink, click Agents.
(2) On the Agents page, click Create Agent.
(3) Enter a Name and Action for the agent, such as "Auto-Close".
(4) For the Outbound Adapter, select Dummy Adapter.
(5) For the Inbound Adapter, select None (auto complete).
(6) Click Submit to create the Agent.
(7) Click Start Agent to start the Agent.
(8) The Agent will now be available in the Workflow Type dropdown list on the General sub-tab for all tasks.
Alternative to a dummy agent would be to create the two tasks with a single child. Each child should then be setup with a conditional expression which always evaluates to false. e.g. 0>1. In doing so this enables the parent task to automatically close since all it's childs are completed.
Sorry the delay in getting back to you. Hm, so do you have the parent task and child task evaluated? I am guessing your version should have the ability to select when the conditional expression is evaluated (when delivery phase starts or acitivity become active) The child task that has the always false expression should be configured to evaluate when the activity becomes active. Also if you would like please attach a screen capture of the workflow you created?