Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto-close a task

Jim Tabasz
Level 1
Level 1

Auto-close a task

How can I set up a task so I can just use it to attach an email notice, then automatically close the task, so the next task in the delivery plan will become active?

Use the ServiceLink Dummy Adapter to create an auto-close Agent that will automatically close any task delegated to that Agent.

Then create your 2 tasks with their respective conditions and corresponding email templates, and associate them each with this Agent (in the Workflow Type dropdown list on the General sub-tab for the task).

Only one of the tasks will fire (based on the condition), and that task will be automatically closed by the Agent.

CREATING AN AUTO-CLOSE AGENT

(1) In ServiceLink, click Agents.

(2) On the Agents page, click Create Agent.

(3) Enter a Name and Action for the agent, such as "Auto-Close".

(4) For the Outbound Adapter, select Dummy Adapter.

(5) For the Inbound Adapter, select None (auto complete).

(6) Click Submit to create the Agent.

(7) Click Start Agent to start the Agent.

(8) The Agent will now be available in the Workflow Type dropdown list on the General sub-tab for all tasks.

9 Replies 9

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1
Is there a way to do this in an earlier version of RC?  Say, v2004?

Lois Donnelly
Level 1
Level 1
Alternative to a dummy agent would be to create the two tasks with a single child.  Each child should then be setup with a conditional expression which always evaluates to false. e.g. 0>1.  In doing so this enables the parent task to automatically close since all it's childs are completed.

I don't believe so. This is a capability of ServiceLink 2, which was introduced in RequestCenter2005.

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Brilliant, Lois.

I'll give that a try.  Thank you.

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lois,

In our version of RequestCenter, when the child task skips, the parent task skips.  Therefore, there isn't a way for us to do send emails from the skipped tasks.

Any other thoughts on this?

Lois Donnelly
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry the delay in getting back to you.  Hm, so do you have the parent task and child task evaluated?  I am guessing your version should have the ability to select when the conditional expression is evaluated (when delivery phase starts or acitivity become active) The child task that has the always false expression should be configured to evaluate when the activity becomes active.  Also if you would like please attach a screen capture of the workflow you created? 

Aler

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Lois,

The child task needed to be evaluated when the activity becomes active.  Once I set it to that, it works like a champ.

Thank you very much!

RQC
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a specific version of RQC2005 that you need to be on to take advantage of the auto close functionality via the ServiceLink Dummy Adapter?

Emir E
Level 1
Level 1

You can send 2 emails per task .. once when it becomes active and once it finishes, have you considered that?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: