cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Database Migration Procedure

jmontisa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A customer would like to migrate their existing SQL Server database from the local Process Orchestrator (2.3.4) instance to a remote database server.  Is there a documented procedure for this published anywhere?  Is it as simple as backing up and restoring the TEOProcess and TEOReporting databases and manually modifying the connection string within the Tidal.Automation.Server.exe.xml configuration file, or are there additional steps required?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Warren Ackerman
Level 1
Level 1

For something like this you should contact TAC to make sure you have the right steps. I think you have most of the steps right, but there may be more.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Paul Jeffrey
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if there is a documented procedure for this but to update the database connection details you cannot do it directly in the file as the password is encrypted but you can run the following utility to update the DB connection details:

"C:\Program Files\Cisco\Tidal Enterprise Orchestrator\Tidal.Automation.Server.DatabaseUserConfigurationUtility.exe"

This should update the TEOProcess database, the TEOReporting database (if you are making use of it) can be updated from the "Administration -> Database Settings" section within the TEO Console.

Hi Paul - thanks for your response!

I did notice the encrypted password in the config file, but since the customer would be restoring the existing database in a new location I expected this information would not need to be modified, and only the DataSource value in the connection string would be updated to reflect the new database server.

I had tried going through Administration->Database Settings within the console, but that only allows you to configure the user information (server info is read-only) for the TEOReporting database.  I wasn't aware of the DatabaseUserConfigurationUtility executable though… I just ran it on one of our lab instances and it does appear to allow you to change the server name as well as the user info for the TEOProcess database as you've described.  Do you know if it could be used to modify the server name for the TEOReporting database as well?  It appears to let you change the value of the database name, but I don't want to recommend this to our customer if it isn't a proven and supported process.

Thanks again,

Justin

Hi Justin

I ran a few tests yesterday and can confirm that the utility does update the reporting and process databases, I also tested changing the hostname (from (local) to the NetBIOS name) and everything still appears to be fine, so in theory this should work for your purposes.

As far as being the supported process, I can't really say as I am a partner and don't have insight into that, as Warren suggests, you may need to open a TAC case for that.

- Paul

Warren Ackerman
Level 1
Level 1

For something like this you should contact TAC to make sure you have the right steps. I think you have most of the steps right, but there may be more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: