Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Validate on Update vs Done during Service Delivery

David Abbishaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to know if the form was updated or completed during the validation of the form.  We have a requirement to be able to update the form in stages during a single task (in the service delivery moment)  over a few days with mandatory information but we dont want to enforce rules until the user clicks Done to complete the task.

If there is a way to do this in Javascript that would be fine.  I noticed there are some javascript variables like whichbutton and myServiceForm.formAction.value but these don't seem to store the information I need.

thanks 

David

7 Replies 7

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi David -

We really need this functionality too, so if you find an answer, please post it.  Also, please submit an enhancement request to Support to add your "vote" to the product management team for the feature to be added.

- Tylor

Brian Papa
Level 1
Level 1

I actually logged this as a bug with NCC at the end of June, since I viewed it as a bug it.  I got a defect ID, but not sure it didn't actually go in as a feature request anyway.

A related issues is that you can't "save" an unsubmitted req unless you have filled in all the required fields.  We found this on a complicated form where the initiator needed to do research to get the right server info for a fulfillment team to be able to do the work correctly.

Ant Erickson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Brian - we also submitted that 'saved' bug back in April 2008 (defect ID 17874) and the latest status update I had was overnight saying that it will be in V10 - happy days.

Re: the update vs done functionality, I think that would be really useful also for forcing fields to be filled out ONLY if a Request is rejected (ie, a Rejection reason) so we're on board with that.  Do you have defect/feature request ID that I can refer to when we log our support?

Thanks!

Ant

I do have some good news on this front. Version 9, SP2 now offers the option to have Authorizations in MyServices open in a pop-up window. Clicking the Approve or Reject button in the pop-up window triggers an onSubmit event.

Ant Erickson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ed,

Can it differentiate between which of the buttons are pressed though?  Ie, a rejection must require a 'reason', approval is okay to proceed without one.

Cheers,

Ant

Brian Papa
Level 1
Level 1

my defect id for update/done is 27705

I agree, being able to differentiate between approve and reject would be good.  I can't remember if I logged a feature request on that.  I do have cases, particularly for service team approvals, where I want to required a comment field on reject that I can email the initiator.  But, on approve, I don't want to required a comment

Unfortunately, this feature does not include the ability to make that differentiation. This is effectively an extension of the ServiceManager task pop-up window that was introduced in 8.3 SP6. So, we're part of the way there in that we're now getting an onSubmit event with both of these buttons. I agree, however, that the ability to tie unique form behavior to which button is clicked is what is needed. I did reinforce that, again, today with the engineering and product teams.