Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

'Order on Behalf Of' for Help desk Service Team

'Order on Behalf Of' for Help desk Service Team

We'd like to have discussion with a company using RequestCenter as a front end by regular requestors and as IT help desk requestors.  How are other companies using the Order on Behalf Of, when there are services that the customer is restricted from, yet the help desk needs to submit on behalf of that customer (the request visibility takes on the permissions of the customer, not the help desk requestor who has the permission)?  Thanks in advance for you feedback.  

5 Replies 5

Sue Morgan
Level 1
Level 1

Another example of the functionality needed that Nancy described here is when you have IT planners that face off to "the business" units.  Through the course of satisfying some need from the business units, technical back-end services are initiated by IT delivery teams.  The IT planners, or the end customer, will not be entitled to order those services directly, but teams involved with delivering the project initiate other services on behalf of the planner or end customer.  It would be desirable to have

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

I agree it would be very helpful to split the ordering permissions between Initiators and Customers.  Currently the ordering permissions are all around Customers. 

Our use case for this scenario is around ordering server hardware.  Only certain people in IT can order the hardware on behalf of a business user.

The only way around this that I know if is In 2008.3 you can use a conditional rule to prevent users that are not in a particular role from submitting the request, but it would be prefer

James Fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Tyler, in this case we have done something like that via ISF.  Not the most elegant solution, but it allows us to control who can place the order for the service while still having the ability to use OOB for all with the service.

I do agree that there should be some separation of permissions between initiator and customer.

Keith Berlin
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen four issues with nearly identical questions, but haven't seen any solutions.  Humm...

I just discovered the same problem.  I'd like to have to ability place an order for someone, that they are not able to order themselves, but I'd like them to have visability to the service delivery, and notification when it is complete.

If there is a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks.

Hi Keith,

At the risk of being repetitious...Tylor's suggestion is really the best we've heard, and one which other customers have implemented with success: "use a conditional rule to prevent users that are not in a particular role from submitting the request".