Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset a select-person field?

Aaron Hinds
Level 1
Level 1

Reset a select-person field?

We have a couple services where depending on the option chosen, a select person field appears and is mandatory. If they select a person, the form fields are populated. But when the customer changes to another option where the select person field is not needed. The problem arises...normally, I would hide the field and clear the vaules. But the value in a select person field is held by the information choosen from the Select Person Popup window.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

If your use case is that you are looking up the approver in an external system and never need/want the user to select the approver, I wouldn't use a person field at all.  It would be far easier to create text fields for each piece of info you want to store (maybe hide the identifier fields), make the visible ones read-only, and user DDR to fill in the fields appropriately.  The other thing you might want to explore is using the person-based dictionaries.  I'm pretty sure if you set the person identifier

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

In this case I clear out both the value of the field (Person ID of the selected person) as well as the display value (person's name):

serviceForm.DICTIONARY.personfield.setValue(['']);
serviceForm.DICTIONARY.personfield_disp.setValue(['']);

The thing to note is that for person fields the basic field is "hidden" an contains the person ID selected.  If you are going to manipulate the selection you have to update both the value and the display value to keep them in sync.

Hi Tylor,

Have you used ISF or DDRs in RC 2008 to be able set a Person-type field using a set or look-up?  I'm doing some noodling now to try and determine that and saw this article.  Looking at your comments above, you seem familiar with the person type fields!  Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

I've tried setting the value to the RC database Person ID based on your comments above using DDR but with no luck.  We're trying to hook in to a remote Identity Management database to d

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

Not that I know of.  But I also haven't tried it :)

Thanks Tylor!  I appreciate the information and the suggestion around a Person-based dictionary; I will definitely give that a try.

With regards to your ISF code for setting the value and the display value; do you know if that functionality can be done using active form rules?

Thanks,

Ant

Shane O'Hanlon
Level 1
Level 1

The person select for some reason conatains personid,select. For some reason select is appended on the end. So when you hit the "select" button the field contains the following:

1234,Select

Its very strange and we used an alert to grab the data so we could actually see what it contained. If we want to prefill some fields based on the person selected we use the following SQL in data retrieval:

(The following gets the person selected email adress)

select COLUMN from DATASOUR

Darwin Hammons
Level 1
Level 1

Great discussion very useful information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: