Daniel Faust
Level 1
Level 1

Strange form behavor in 2008.3

Websphere 6.1.27
Oracle 10g
ns 2008.3
IE 6 &  7

I have a noticed a strange behavor using the "Help Text" in a ReadOnly field.
It is visible to the ADMINS, but not the users.

Does anyone have a work around for this?

A case has been opened on this.
2 screen images enclosed.

Daniel
Safeway Inc.

5 Replies 5

Tylor Hagerman
Level 1
Level 1

This isn't ideal, but if you use ISF to set the instructional text (help text) for a field, it seems to execute regardless of permissions or moments.

Darryl Kinley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Daniel,

It would seem that help text disappears once the user does not have write access to a particular field.  We've gotten around this by setting access control to read/write for Anyone, then using form rules or ISF to make them read only.  We use this any time we want help text to remain on the form during all moments.  Hope this helps!

Darryl
Kaiser Permanente

I am able to accomplish your use case in RC08 by setting the Access Control for the dictionary to View/Edit for the participant(s) who need to see the help text, and then setting the Display Properties to Read-Only.

Daniel Faust
Level 1
Level 1

yes its very strange.  I set the field to TEXT and used both "Rules" and "ISF" to change the field to Read Only and its still invisible to the users.  Maybe its inherant to the version that I am on 2008.3

I will try setting the "HelpText" via ISF next.

Thanks
Daniel

Daniel Faust
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, that worked for me.

• Set the dictionary Access to "Read " and  "Edit"
  • Set the Field type to "Read Only"
  • Set the Help text with the "HTLM CODE"

And the Help text becomes visible to the users...
I did notice thst the HTML is now ignored when used in the Defaul value, so I left ithe field blank and moved the data to the Help Text.

Thank you
Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: