cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to set selection list to NULL?

lim.park01
Level 1
Level 1

For a field that is of Input Type select (single), which gets populated by a data retrieval rule, once it is populated, it does not seem like I am able to set this field back to NULL (nothing selected, like when the form first loads) via the Set Value rule action. It just retains the previously selected value in the field. Same thing if the data retrieval rule does not return any rows/data -- it just leaves the previously set value in the field.

Is this expected behavior or am I doing somethign wrong?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

siprice
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From memory it is a little difficult to manage nulls.

THe way i've done it in the past (and it will depend on the data type of the field).

Physicall set, and detect for the 'three hyphens'.

i.e., define the null as how it is displayed in the actual fields initially - by three hyphens.

- - -

Hope this helps,

Simon

Thanks for your reply. If we physically set and mimic what the null visually looks like by using three hyphens, then the field actually holds a value so we lose the OOTB required field empty check/notification, correct? Any suggestions regarding that?

Thansks

Correct. I'm pretty sure the other way to reset a field is to use a 'sql' based distribution rule that has null.

For example select '' as 'nullified' and distribute into the required field. This should reproduce it.

My other suggestion was really around chanigng the 'trigger' to trigger on null OR '- - -'  - it's obviouly easier to check for a known state than a null, generally speaking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: