Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA RMA with Firepower on SSD

Peter Zsiros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need some guidance and answers on ASA RMA.
We had to RMA an ASA 5525 chassis which had Firepower installed on the SSD.
We have the new ASA, obviously without an SSD.

What happens to the installed FP software module when i put the old SSD in the new ASA?

Will it just work?

- or -

Do i have to re-image it in the new chassis? (and start from scratch, and restore a config backup or something)

Thx in advance!

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter,
Unfortunately SSD drives can't be natively swapped on the ASA. You have to re-partition and re-image the disk before  restoring your latest working backup.

HTH.

Pablo

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hmm, I have not done that before but I don't see any reasons why this should not work. Unless you are running FTD, the SFR module/SSD, while residing in the ASA chassis is completely independent from the ASA. 

I will let someone else chime in here as well but this should work. Just make sure that the replacement ASA:

1. Is running supported code

2. Configurations are migrated properly and the redirection policy is working

3. Has the control license

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

We will see soon...

Sounds good. Keep us posted! :)

Peter,
Unfortunately SSD drives can't be natively swapped on the ASA. You have to re-partition and re-image the disk before  restoring your latest working backup.

HTH.

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

Can you please enlighten me with the process in a form of link to a configuration guide or user manual?

Thx,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Here you go:

Installation Procedure.

Backup and Restore.

HTH.

Pablo

Thx Pablo! :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: