Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA5540 pair + AIP-SSM40's IPS support

Hi Folks,

I am considering deploying a fail-over firewall pair to include IPS modules on a private network. My hardware is provided through a channel partner; maintenance is provided by another entity - so I don't have direct sight of any support contracts.

How do I obtain annual IPS licences, and how many will I need please?

Regards,

Andy.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ASA5540 pair + AIP-SSM40's IPS support

You will need to talk with the company providing your maintenance contract.

That company should either be re-selling a standard Cisco Service for IPS maintenance contract in which case it should cover hardward, software, and also the IPS license.

OR they are selling you a service contract that they mange themselves. This would be what we call a shared support contract where the partner company is the first line of support for the customer. The contract sold to the customer will generally just cover hardware and software. In these situations the partner will then need to also sell a special Cisco Service for IPS maintenance contract to the customer that covers the IPS license. In other cases the partner takes this into account up front and bundles this special Cisco Service for IPS maintenance contract in with the software and hardware maintenance contract that they sell to the customer.

So it can wind up being handled several ways. You will need to talk with your maintence provider to see how they specifically handle the situation. If they don't bundle it with their service, then you will need to buy that special Cisco Service for IPS contract (that covers only the IPS license) through the channel partner or maintenance provider.

Re: ASA5540 pair + AIP-SSM40's IPS support

Marcoa,

Thanks very much indeed - now I know why I keep to design and not procurement.

I will take it up with supply chain and the maintainer, but I suspect that since this is the first IPS instance they won't be bundling it (yet).

Finally, for ordering purposes am I correct with qty 2 ASA5540-AIP40-K9 and qty 2 "Cisco Service for IPS" - or is there a better part number?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Views
Helpful
Replies