Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM-IDM Unable to launch device manager

licensing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having trouble trying to log into my IPS 4260 sensor using ASDM-IDM. When I try to login I get the error message "Unable to launch device manager". When I look in the Java console I see a few of these messages:

"javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake"

I do have access to the sensor over SSH and I have done a tls generate-key. I am also able to access the sensor using IPS Manager Express, just not ASDM-IDM. The ASDM-IDM application I am using does work for my ASA 5525 and 5520s.

Does anyone know why I might be getting this error message?

16 Replies 16

The only way I was able to get a CIMC to work just recently was to explicitly launch it using Java 1.7. some command line trickery sufficed for that as follows (all one line at the command prompt):

C:\Users\marvin.rhoads>C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Java\jre1.7.0_21\bin\javaws C:\Users\marvin.rhoads\Downloads\viewer.jnlp(10.197.122.87@0@1416414750320)

ASDM on the other hand works fine with my latest patches Java 1.8. I do use the latest ASDM launcher (1.5(78), used to launch various ASDM versions on multiple ASAs).

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card