Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration examples for AIP SSM10

aoshea
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support,

Seems like I'm trying to learn another language reading the IPS command line interface guide! (I’m a traditional routing/switching person)

Does anyone know if there are any useful configuration examples for the AIP-SSM10 ?

I don't believe what I'm doing is rocket science, I just need to monitor two front end web servers and a back end SQL box for weird activity.

I have two asa5520's configured in a failover pair each contains an AIP-SSM10.

I have uploaded the latest signatures to the AIP, but just need to configure them. I haven't turned on the policy to route the traffic to the AIPs from the ASA yet as want to tune the configs on the AIPs first.

Any links / advice would be gratefully received.

I can post the current configs if that helps?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards, Adrian.

3 Replies 3

Jeffrey Bollinger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tuning the IPS signatures is going to be customized for every network, depending on what exactly you're looking for. The signatures are grouped into various categories and you can selectively enable/disable these categories, or just accept the default signatures. There's not a lot of configuration that needs to be done on the signatures. You just need to make sure to tune out your false positives by watching your events as they come in and seeing what events are actual attacks and which could be deemed permissible.

So to answer your question, there isn't really a config example for the IPS component. The quickest way to get up and running is to connect to the network port on the front of the module and load the SDM (HTTPS interface) of the IPS and review your signature settings there.

Many thanks for your assistance, I've already configured the SDM access, however it doesn't seem user friendly ... is there a guide for the SDM ?

regards, Adrian.

I think the GUI is pretty intuitive, but its basically the same GUI as the IPS Sensors themselves use. Here's the guide for that:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids11/idmguide/index.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card