Views
Helpful
Replies

Downgrade IPS 5.1(1) to IDS ver 4.x

Netlayer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want to know, step to complete this task because I know when I upgrade to 5.0, downgrade cannot be run.

So I want to return the previous version, through re-image the sensor, I try to do it but error messages appear

<i@10.1.185.2/WS-SVC-IDSM2-K9-sys-1.1-a-5.1-1.bin.gz

Downloading the image. This may take several minutes...

Password for amzaini@10.1.185.2:

ftp://amzaini@10.1.185.2/WS-SVC-IDSM2-K9-sys-1.1-a-5.1-1.bin.gz (7893K)

/tmp/upgrade.gz [########################] 7893K | 12164.41K/s

8082832 bytes transferred in 0.65 sec (12162.54k/sec)

ERROR: /tmp/upgrade.gz: unexpected end of file

root@BR05IDS02.localdomain#

Any one has idea??? ASAP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We've had many problems re-imageing sensors back to 4.x due to teh fact that it has to be done via TFTP. One of the primary problems is getting a TFTP server on a connection with the sensor that has enough bandwidth, otherwise we experienced timeouts. You will also need a TFTP server that can handle large files (not all can). We found this free TFTP to work well:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.jounin/tftpd32.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the file on your 10.1.185.2 ftp server.

The above output shows that is downloaded a 7893K file which is too small for the WS-SVC-IDSM2-K9-sys-1.1-a-5.1-1.bin.gz file.

Look at he download page for the WS-SVC-IDSM2-K9-sys-1.1-a-5.1-1.bin.gz file:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ips5-cat6500-idsm2-sys

You will see that the file should be 23369742 bytes (22822K approximately).

So it looks like the file on your ftp server is incomplete if it is only 7893K.

You would need to download the file again from CCO and place it in your 10.1.185.2 ftp server. Once it is on your ftp server you will want to compare the file size against the file size listed on CCO to ensure you have the complete file before you even attempt the imahe installation.

If I remember right there had been a problem before where downloading the file using Internet Explorer would sometimes cause an issue. Internet Explorer itself would attempt to unzip the file because of the gz file extension, and you would wind up with a corrupted file.

If you do run into this issue then try using a different browser (like Mozilla).

This problem was only seen with the IDSM-2 System Images because of the .gz extension on the filename. All other files (like major, minor, and signature updates, as well as system images for other systems) end in either a .pkg or .img extenstion and so are not corrupted by Internet Explorer during download.

We've had many problems re-imageing sensors back to 4.x due to teh fact that it has to be done via TFTP. One of the primary problems is getting a TFTP server on a connection with the sensor that has enough bandwidth, otherwise we experienced timeouts. You will also need a TFTP server that can handle large files (not all can). We found this free TFTP to work well:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/philippe.jounin/tftpd32.html

Hi all,

I would like to say thank for anybody has give me advise, solutions and committed with my questions, because the problem has been solved when I using another FTP server.

I thing this issue about FTP and large file

Thank for information.

So now, I need to download file again using mozila and let me try to downgrade IDSM2 first before update later

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card