cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FMC doesn't show me task status

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I have a FMC1500 that manages 6 firepower sensors in my ASA firewalls.

I recently upgraded the FMC to 6.0 and patched it. Now I am trying to upgrade the sensors to 6.0+.

On an ASA running IOS 9.6.3, I tried to install the 6.0.0__Pre-install-5.4.1.999-2 patch and then upgrade to 6.0

However, when I launch the upgrade process from FMC, it doesn't seem to do anything. It says task status updated with upgrade, but if you go into the task menu, nothing is running. I don't see anything in the sensor shell either.

Anyone see this before? What is going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Colin,

As for FMC you can drop to the shell and and navigate to /var/log/sf. There you will find a directory for your update (e.g. Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Patch-6.1.0.1) which include the status.log.

You can use tail to follow the log output like this

tail -f /var/log/sf/Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Patch-6.1.0.1/status.log

As for your firepower sensor you need to switch to bash shell using the expert command. You can also tail the update logfile located at /var/log/update.status

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

You can verify the upgrade progress in a log file on your sensor. The upgrade status is saved to /var/log/update.status on the sensor.

In case this file is empty you can use pigtail on FMC shell to find out what is happening when you start the upgrade. Just open a root shell on FMC, run pigtail and start the upgrade from the UI.

In case you need further guidelines on how to setup pigtail or need help analyzing the output let me know.

regards

Oliver

Apparently it does kick off the process, but it won't show me anything in the task status, so I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes

this is happening when trying to upgrade the FMC as well.

Is there a way to view the upgrade status within the shell/cli ?

Hi Colin,

As for FMC you can drop to the shell and and navigate to /var/log/sf. There you will find a directory for your update (e.g. Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Patch-6.1.0.1) which include the status.log.

You can use tail to follow the log output like this

tail -f /var/log/sf/Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Patch-6.1.0.1/status.log

As for your firepower sensor you need to switch to bash shell using the expert command. You can also tail the update logfile located at /var/log/update.status

there is a bug in 6.0 (even with the patch) that makes the task status screen invisible. The tasks were running, but I couldn't see it. When I brought the system up to a newer version it corrected the issue

EDIT: Removed since my reply was posted two times.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card