cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Global correlation events

snowmizer
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5510 with an SSM-10 module. I have global correlation turned on and updating. When I look at the dashboard's "Global Correlation Report" I see packets that have been denied by global correlation. Can someone tell me how global correlation events are logged? I'd like to be able to see the raw data associated with the global correlation.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/idm/idm_collaboration.html#wp1065809

As can be seen, whenever "global correlation" causes any kind of action to be taken by the IPS it produces an alert unless the packet is being denied by "reputation filtering" which does not produce any kind of alert. Also, "This feature only applies to global correlation  inspection where the traffic is allowed if no specific signature is  matched".

I am not sure of all those fields in then alert but i have seen at least some of them. If you are not seeing any alerts with those fields, then global correlation may not be seeing any instances where it has had to modify the risk ratings and take appropriate actions for it, that is, you may not be receiving any kind of such packets from malicious hosts at all in the first place.

Also, if you have "reputation filtering" on, you might want to turn it OFF to ensure it is not causing this behavior.

Rregards,

Prapanch

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For starters, below is information regarding Global correlation (GC) on the IPS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/idm/idm_collaboration.html

As can be seen, basically, the global correlation feature adjusts the risk ratings based on the level at which we configure the GC, that is, permissive/standard/aggressive, and also based on the GC score for the attacker IP address. After adjusting the risk ratings, the IPS denies packets based on the event action overrides that we may have configured.

Another method in which GC is used for filtering is "reputation filtering" (by default it's OFF in the IPS). What this feature does when ON is it denies packets from certain known bad hosts that are downloaded along with the manifests. Hope this helps.

All the best!

Regards,

Prapanch

This helps. However, I have one other question. I've got a python script that some wrote to pull SDEE events from the IPS module. In the code they are pulling the following fields related to global correlation:

Global Correlation Score

Global Correlation Risk Delta

Global Correlation Modified Risk Rating

Global Correlation Deny Packet

Global Correlation Deny Attacker

Also a field that specifies if the packet was dropped (isDropped)?

I've looked at the settings, including setting the Event action on rule0 for all risk levels to at least produce a verbose alert but I'm still not seeing these fields. Where do these fields come from and how can I get them?

Thanks.

Hi,

Take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/idm/idm_collaboration.html#wp1065809

As can be seen, whenever "global correlation" causes any kind of action to be taken by the IPS it produces an alert unless the packet is being denied by "reputation filtering" which does not produce any kind of alert. Also, "This feature only applies to global correlation  inspection where the traffic is allowed if no specific signature is  matched".

I am not sure of all those fields in then alert but i have seen at least some of them. If you are not seeing any alerts with those fields, then global correlation may not be seeing any instances where it has had to modify the risk ratings and take appropriate actions for it, that is, you may not be receiving any kind of such packets from malicious hosts at all in the first place.

Also, if you have "reputation filtering" on, you might want to turn it OFF to ensure it is not causing this behavior.

Rregards,

Prapanch

I looked at the Global Correlation Report on my IPS and discovered that all of the traffic that was being dropped was being done by the traditional IPS rules. I think that when I looked at it last time I mis-read the report and thought that stuff had been dropped by global correlation. I'll have to monitor this and see if we get any drops from the global correlation. Once we have that maybe I'll see the fields I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Yeah that was my thought Anyway let me know once you are able to see some global correlation events.

Rregards,

Prapanch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card