cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many CPU's can the 4260/4270 IPS support?

racquel.mays
Level 1
Level 1

I have an IPS 4260 and 1 of the 2 processors is running at 100% most of the time the other is generally +70%.  I used the  "show statistics virtual-sensor" command to show utilization.  Please see attached.

I was wondering if the 4260/70 can support quad processing?  Can I perform a any sort of hardware upgrade to alleviate this condition?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

CY1234
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

They are 2 Dual-core 2.6GHz AMD Opterons processor and unfortunately you cannot increase the number of processors. You could check with your Account team and they can provide you possible options on upgrading.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

--Sunil

View solution in original post

terrygwazdosky
Level 1
Level 1

Did this high CPU usage happen just recently or has it been slowly building for a while?  I'd be curious as to the reasons for the high CPU usage as it may be that you can take steps to lower it without comprimising security by disabling unneeded signatures or perhaps filtering out traffic that doesn't need to be inspected.  It'd definitely be cheaper than upgrading. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

CY1234
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

They are 2 Dual-core 2.6GHz AMD Opterons processor and unfortunately you cannot increase the number of processors. You could check with your Account team and they can provide you possible options on upgrading.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

--Sunil

terrygwazdosky
Level 1
Level 1

Did this high CPU usage happen just recently or has it been slowly building for a while?  I'd be curious as to the reasons for the high CPU usage as it may be that you can take steps to lower it without comprimising security by disabling unneeded signatures or perhaps filtering out traffic that doesn't need to be inspected.  It'd definitely be cheaper than upgrading. 

Thanks for the advice, Terry.  Greatly appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: