cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS 4.1 to IPS 5.0 convertion

altaf007
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to convert IDS 4250 to IPS 5.0 verstion I am downloaded IPS-K9-maj-5.0-1-s149 and ran the command from the IDS cli and i got following error message

Error Converting config : Install aborted

Erro: Exception Error: -commin curren config -:validate error for the component "signatureDefination" and the instance "sing0"

/signatures/[sig-id=2001,subsig-id=1]/engine/--the union does not have a member selected

I get severral error like above with different sigid .

any idea what do i need to do to fix this.

Altaf

8 Replies 8

ibanezm
Level 1
Level 1

What 4.1 version are you upgrading from? You should be upgrading from at least 4.1(4)S151.

I am running versoin 4.1(5)189.

You're going to need to reset your signatures, then upgraqde.

If you pushed out your configs from VMS, you can do the following:

sensor# conf t

sensor(config)# service virtual-sensor-configuration virtualSensor

sensor(config-vsc)# reset-signatures

Then upgrade, then re-apply your config.

I will try your solution . I am doing upgrade from the IDS sensor itself . I am not using VMS. If i reset my signatures, will it erase all the filters ? Thanks

Altaf

I tried your solution and then try to upgrade it to 5.0 signatures and i still get same error messages.

You might be running into CSCsb91681. Try installing a sig update like S191 or S192. This will ensure the /usr/cids/idsRoot/var/updates/50sig/50Sig.tar.gz file exists, which is needed to upgrade to 5.0

Mario

I just upgraded about 20 sensors today and had the same problem on a couple. One I had to actually boot from the recovery image in order to apply the update. The others I applied a later signature update (I was on 190) and then it worked. You will not lose filters by setting the signatures to default. You may find that the upgrade forces you to remove filters though if you're using variables. I got errors about the $USER-ADDRS1 variable so I ended up having to remove it and the filters based on it.

I upgrade it to version s(196) and it worked. I think if you upgrade it from version s(189) it does not work. Thanks for your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card