cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS V4.1 , access through console port problem issue

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to access Cisco IDS 4215 v4.1 at work (production device) through WebUI, and Telnet.

Recently I have modified the interfaces int0, int1 only, then I could not access through WebUI nor Telnet.

When I tried through Telnet I received this error :

<quote>

Error: Cannot communicate with system processes. Please contact your system administrator.

</quote>

When I tried through the web browser (https://ip address) it stuck with the below message:

<quote>

Login successful

Please wait while IDM loads.........

</quote>

The last resort to access it through console port, (The username's administrator for webGUI is :xxx and password : xxx)

When I tried to use the above username and password for console :

legolas login: xxx

Password:

It gave me the error below :

<quote>

***NOTICE***

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use.

Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

Error: Cannot communicate with system processes. Please contact your system administrator.

</quote>

The error message for Telnet is same error for console connection ?

any clue about this issue.I do not like to think about reseting the IDS (only as last resort), because it is production one.

3 Replies 3

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

Normal user accounts logging in via the console or telnet get a special shell that requires some IPS specific processes to be working correctly (they aren't in your case). You need to login using the service account, which has a normal shell. Have you configured a service account? If you have not, you can probably do a hard reboot and then login using the normal user account. Create a service account afterword though...it comes in handy.

Have you configured a service account?

I have not created that , because I had the IDS was configured already.

If you have not, you can probably do a hard reboot and then login using the normal user account. Create a service account afterword though...it comes in handy.

What you meant by normal useraccount ,,,,default which is cisco ? the account that I have mentioned in my early thread ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3990/products_configuration_example09186a008052c504.shtml#steps1

yes, I mean a normal user like the default cisco user. In order to create a user with the service role, the user you login as needs to have "Administrator" access (which the default cisco user has).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card