cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM-2 licensing

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have inherited some IDSM-2 modules for our 6500 switches. These have been lying around for some time and i just need some clarification on how the modules are licensed.

When you purchase these modules do they come with a base license already on like the Firewall Services Module. Or do you have to register them with their serial number before you can use them ?

I ask because we are now trying to deploy them and i am being told that they cannot be activated without a license key.

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Jon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

isgphyd12
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure the IDSM-2 and start using it without license. only thing you will not get updated signature without registration.

As you said get register you IDSM with Cisco using serial number and start downloading update of signature.

View solution in original post

isgphyd12 is correct. You can still apply OS patches and upgrades to an unlicensed sensor. This will provide you with the signatures current as of the release date of the patch or upgrade.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

isgphyd12
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure the IDSM-2 and start using it without license. only thing you will not get updated signature without registration.

As you said get register you IDSM with Cisco using serial number and start downloading update of signature.

isgphyd12 is correct. You can still apply OS patches and upgrades to an unlicensed sensor. This will provide you with the signatures current as of the release date of the patch or upgrade.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Jon

Hi,

Normally, IDSM modules are purchased with a "services for IPS" contract so you may find that you can register the serial numbers and get updates right away. (might be worth trying to track down the original PO just to check).

There's no harm in plugging the serial numbers into the license tool (www.cisco.com/go/license) as at worse it'll just say "no license".

You can also get a 60-day trial license which could keep you going for a while.

HTH

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card