cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM-2 Password Recovery

networker99
Level 1
Level 1

We have IDSM-2 modules installed in a VSS switch.  I need to perform password recovery on the modules.  Will this affect the VSS switch that they are installed in?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

No it won;t effect the operation of configuration of the switch.The hosting 6500/7600 chassis is independant of the IDSM module. The IDSM module has it's own processor, memory, OS and configuration.

= Bob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

No it won;t effect the operation of configuration of the switch.The hosting 6500/7600 chassis is independant of the IDSM module. The IDSM module has it's own processor, memory, OS and configuration.

= Bob

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As password recovery for the IDSM-2 could require booting the module into the maintenance partition (in the absence of a service account, or separate admin-level account in the application partition) this could impact traffic flow in the switch depending on how the IDSM-2 is configured to monitor traffic.  If you are configured for promiscuous mode operation, you should see no impact.  If you are configured for inline operation, you could see traffic impacted during the time the IDSM-2 is running on the maintenance partition.

Scott

Scott is correct, if

you are running yoru IDSM in-line, you will distrupt your traffic during the password recovery process.

Thanks for adding that Scott.

- Bob

VSS running IDSM-2 in module 4...

Why would the following command reboot the entire VSS switch?

hw-module switch 1 module 4 reset hdd:1

I am not directly involved in VSS management, and cannot explain why issuing the hw-module command would cause a switch reboot.  I have not seen that occur in stand-alone switches.  It would be beneficial to post this question over in the Network Infrastructure>LAN, Switching, Routing or open a service request with TAC to further investigate.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: