Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IDSM-2 "redundancy" in a single chassis

I understand how IDSM-2 redundancy could work having two 6500's...but what do you do when you are doing inline vlan pairs and the IDSM-2 fails and is no longer there to bridge the vlans together? How can the switch be setup to bridge the vlans in the event that the IDSM-2 fails?

Also, instead of pairing all the vlans that have SVI's on the FWSM, could I just pair the FWSM's VLAN/SVI on the MSFC with another vlan and get the same effect as pairing all the vlans that are on the FWSM? Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: IDSM-2 "redundancy" in a single chassis

I havn't tried this inside a 6500 chassis, but this works externally:

Set up your in-line sensors as multiple alternate paths connecting the two VLANs together and use spanning tree to assign one sensor path a higher STP cost. Once the primary sensor fails the traffic should re-route to the standby sensor. If you play with the STP settings you can get the switchover time down under a second.

I am not sure what you mean by "externally." this is an IDSM-2 which is a blade in the 6500 and there is only one of them in the 6500 chassis....otherwise I would do ECLB.

Gold

I meant that I have used this method with stand alone switches and appliance sensors, but it should be applicable to IDSMs and a 6500 chassis.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content