cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM-2 Throughput in Bypass Mode?

blackhat2020
Level 1
Level 1

HI,i cisco documentation idsm-2 has 500Mbps throughput in inline mode and 600Mbps throughput in passive.so suppose that our idam-2 is in inline mode,then if we put our idsm-2 in Bypass mode,how much traffic idsm-2 can handle without any inspection?(throughput?)

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The IDSM-2 would only be supported at the same 500Mbps for both inspection and ByPass mode.

There is not a separate rating for ByPass mode.

With that said, the IDSM-2 will do much higher than 500Mbps while in ByPass mode (assuming nothing else happening on the sensor).

But I am not sure how much more since we don't generally test performance while in ByPass mode.

You would not want to plan your network on the ByPass performance capability.

The other reason is that when the sensor goes into ByPass there be something else going on in the sensor.

In the case of a Signature Update there will be signature processing consuming much of the CPU and memory so ByPass will not perform at its top performance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The IDSM-2 would only be supported at the same 500Mbps for both inspection and ByPass mode.

There is not a separate rating for ByPass mode.

With that said, the IDSM-2 will do much higher than 500Mbps while in ByPass mode (assuming nothing else happening on the sensor).

But I am not sure how much more since we don't generally test performance while in ByPass mode.

You would not want to plan your network on the ByPass performance capability.

The other reason is that when the sensor goes into ByPass there be something else going on in the sensor.

In the case of a Signature Update there will be signature processing consuming much of the CPU and memory so ByPass will not perform at its top performance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card