cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM-2 vs Netsky.aa

minbank-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! My IDSM-2 (ver. 5.0.5 with latest signature updates) on Cat6513 (CatOS) doesn't catch Netsky.aa virus, while my antivirus software does... Why? How I can drop the Netsky.aa activity with IDSM?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

jlimbo
Level 1
Level 1

We do cover Netsky under signatures 3136-0 to 3136-11 however we do not cover the variant Netsky.aa. If you look at the overall risk rating for TREND for this virus it is low. We partner with trend to cover virus or worms at medium to high severity levels.

Hope that explains things.

Thanks for answer. Low TREND is very strange reason to pass viruses through. Is it a very hard work to add one Netsky.aa signature?

We did not decide to pass this vulnerability off due to the difficulty. We decide to write a signature based on the severity of a vulnerability hence we only cover medium to high severity.

Ok,ok... And what about these:

Email-Worm.Win32.NetSky.q

Email-Worm.Win32.Sober.y

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.dx

Email-Worm.Win32.NetSky.b

Email-Worm.Win32.Doombot.b

Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.q

Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.c

Net-Worm.Win32.Bobic.k

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.gen

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.bw

Do you plan to add all vir signatures to IDS?

Also, do you plan to release anti-spam filter for IDSM-2?

Kind regards.

Seeing as we partner with TrendMicro for virus and malware, we also happen to use their naming convention. I was able to cross reference some of the list you submitted, coverage as noted below.

That said, the IDS/IPS is a network intrusion sensor, not an antivirus solution. We provide coverage for viris/worms/malware that are fast breaking and pose significant risk to the end customer, but we do not cover every threat out there. For virus/worms/malware that are elevated to a High severity on TrendMicro's site, you'll see a signature on the IDS platform for it.

To my knowledge, there are no plans to incorporate anti-spam filtering on the IDS/IPS platforms at this time. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense to me to have your IDS filter for spam, but that's just my opinion.

Email-Worm.Win32.NetSky.q

3136-5 Netsky.Q pif

Email-Worm.Win32.Sober.y

Is known as WORM_SOBER.AG to TrendMicro and is covered by signature 3137-6

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.dx

Is known as WORM_BAGLE.BM to TrendMicro, rated as low, no signature.

Email-Worm.Win32.NetSky.b

We don not cover the B variant, but do cover the following: c,d,e,k,j,p,q,s,x,y,ab,z

Did a quick search on Trend's site, but didn't find a match to these:

Email-Worm.Win32.Doombot.b

Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.q

Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.c

Net-Worm.Win32.Bobic.k

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.gen

Email-Worm.Win32.Bagle.bw

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card