cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS IPS running on 2901 Router Throughput Issue

Joshua Smick
Level 1
Level 1

I recently went to enable IPS on my 2901, and I noticed a massive latency issue when I enabled it.  Throughput dropped from 120MBPS down to about 66-68MBPS.  Is there a way to institute IPS on a router without experiencing this kind of severe degradation  in performance? 

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Without encryption added, 2901 can do 167.42 Mbps.  Again, this figure is expressed WITHOUT any encryption and outgoing AND incoming traffic is added together, making the figures quite impressive (and misleading somewhat).  

So, we typically half the value to get a true idea of concurrent outgoing/incoming traffic is like.  Now if you want to add encryption, rule-of-thumb applies by halving this value further.  So, the easiest way is to get 167.42 and factor this by 4 and you'll get 41.855 Mbps.    With the value of 41.855 Mbps, this means you a single-directional and encrypted traffic.  

NOTE:  Rule-of-thumb of half the value for encryption because only Cisco knows the true value.  With ISR G2, the encryption "penalty" can be LOWER than 50%.  

So you are seeing "66-68 Mbps" is normal for a 2901.  If you want something that push 120 Mbps, then you'll have to consider a 3945E as a bare minimum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card