Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Step-by-Step Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the NGFW, NGIPS and AMP Technologies A Visual Guide to the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)
Community Member

IPS 4240 - power fail situation

hi

If IPS 4240 is configured in IN-line mode and if its power supply fails, will it still keep network continuity up and pass the network traffic thr' it?

thanks

regards

Rakesh

======

9 REPLIES
Gold

Re: IPS 4240 - power fail situation

Community Member

Rakesh,

No, it will not pass any traffic if it's in-line and the power fails. It becomes its own DoS for your network.

This is why Cisco recommends fault tolerant configs or a network bypass switch in case an IPS fails. Info on the bypass switch is at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/index.html ---

Look for the "Fail-Safe Bypass Solution" toward the middle of the page.

Hope this helps?

Community Member

Thanks both of you.

What will be the reasons of not counting SM0240 switch (shore Microsystem) as single point of failure?

regards

Rakesh

=====

Community Member

No reason at all. The bypass switch IS a single point of failure as well. Shore Micro has a solution to this in buying their more robust switch with extra power supplies and extra interfaces... But remember, you can take the single point of failure analysis to extreams-- the UPS, the rack, subsystem in the data center, etc., etc.

Community Member

Agreed. I was trying to collect good reasons to tell our customers and make them agreed to.!.thanks for the reply.

regards

Rakesh

======

Gold

It is not a single point of failure, certainly not in the sense that the IPS is. If the power fails on the bypass switch, it will function just like a wire. This was confirmed by a Cisco engineer in a previous discussion:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Intrusion%20Prevention%20Systems/IDS&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dda5a1e/13#selected_message

Community Member

This is good to know. thanks for checking this out.

regards

Rakesh

=====

Community Member

Sorry Matt, my bad... I forgot the bypass switch becomes a wire when it looses power. At that point it shunts all traffic around (not thru) the IPS... Is this right?

Gold

That's a good question actually. I don't know much more than what marcabal said. All our sensors are passive. It seems like that would make the most sense though.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content