Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS-4260 Where is the Flash?

Pageplayer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

So, I have a Cisco IPS-4260 that is not finding a boot device.. My research indicates the "IPS 4260 uses a flash device for storage rather than a hard-disk drive"

My question is, Where is the flash device and what exactly is it? I don't see any ports, plugs or a space for a compact flash card on my device...

Any help will be appreciated!

Chuck

9 Replies 9

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Its internal flash not external flash

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I know that much,  but where/what is it inside the unit? I opened it up, but not sure where it is. I just acquired the unit and Im wondering if it was removed

Anyone?

schematic of the board? Diagram? Photo of the flash module?

I also have the same issue, running a recovery image via TFTP errors as no HD found.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Something to physically inspect on Motherboard, or BIOS setting? 

Alternatively, will plugging in an external USB hard drive work as well? (This is a lab box for testing etc, no production usage).

This is the end snippet of the recovery procedure:

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Freeing initrd memory: 24144k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
init started:  BusyBox v1.00-rc1 (2008.07.12-04:16+0000) multi-call binary
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
ls: /proc/ide/hd*: No such file or directory

Recovery version 1.21
Started on Mon Apr 14 03:54:43 UTC 2014
Full system recovery

Making filesystems on none
Abort: mke2fs -j none

Please press Enter to activate this console. 

In IDS-4215, compact flash drive is under the hard-disk drive, it might be same in 4260 as well .

Cisco touted this device for not having a hdd that could fail, and I couldn't find an internal slot for a flash card. I'm thinking it uses a NAND Flash component?

Just to confirm, adding an old IDE hard disk (8GB) with standard IDE cable works fine.

Just update BIOS to allow boot from hard disk, and you'll find the IDE cable on motherboard underneath one of the add-in cards (just lift it up with blue levers).

Cheers.

Hi nburky,
Any chance you could post the procedure to install the files on a HDD? I just got around to messing around with this again, and got a HDD to boot to a C: prompt by just plugging it in.. But now I don't have a clue what to do next.

Chuck

Anyone?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: