Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS functionality addition on ASA5585-S40-K9

ramkunta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I sold two quantity of ASA5585-S40-K9 to a customer. They are in HA configuration and running 9.1 software image. Now customer wants to have IPS functionality on these ASA devices. I need your help on following two points:

1. Can you please share the BOM to add the IPS functionality on these existing ASA devices?

2. Can the IPS functionality thus added work on Active-Active? Kindly help me understand.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ram

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laura Zamora
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ram,

The IPS that will be available on this platform is a software based so no module is needed.

You will be needing the license to enable the IPS on the ASA itself and then one license applied on the IPS for the signatures.

Then eveything else will be working the same as any ips module.

Regards,

Laura 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Laura Zamora
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ram,

The IPS that will be available on this platform is a software based so no module is needed.

You will be needing the license to enable the IPS on the ASA itself and then one license applied on the IPS for the signatures.

Then eveything else will be working the same as any ips module.

Regards,

Laura 

Thank you Laura,  thanks Hesam, appreciate your help.

h.3brahimi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

As far as I know the IPS funtionality in 5585-x is only supported through SSP modules and the mentioned model has this module installed in it. The license you need for the IPS funtionality for 1 year can be achieved through the following part number:

ASA5585-40-IP1Y=

You can use the following part number for signature update:

L-ASA5585-40-1SCA=

You can extend the time for IPS functionality up to 5 years and signature update up to 3 years.

Regarding A/A configuration, there is no obstacle and you can implement IPS functionality using virtual sensors.

Regards,

Hesam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card