cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS monitoring

jmutuski
Level 1
Level 1

Can an IPS module monitor traffic for (2) 6500s working in load balancing mode?

3 Replies 3

Nick Egloff
Level 1
Level 1

When you say IPS module, do you mean an in-chassis one like an IDSM2, or an external one?

An external one can use a SPAN from each core to take 'copies' of the traffic you want, but you have to watch for oversubscription and overall IDS throughput.

Even the internal IDSM2 can only technically handle 600mbps throughput, so can be oversubscribed.

The one thing "funny" I've seen in my 4 years with the SPAN/6500/external IDS (4250XL I think) is that I get a lot of spoofing messages; my guess is that it's related to the duplication of messages in the 2 SPAN ports (which span specific VLANs) feeding the single IDS.

If this helps, please drop it a quick rating..

Thanks!

...Nick

Oh -- and you can't really feed the internals from an external feed from the other switch, so you'd need to get 2 IDSM2s, I think (You might be able to use either RSPAN or something like that, but I'm not sure you'd really want to do that, just from a 'keeping everything straight' perspective).

..N

definitely helps.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: