Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS regex for a certificate name

rickellis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Using the 4260-IPS I'd like to create a signature using regex that can fire on a specific certificate name. In a sniffer trace I can see the entry as "Name=Grac". I tried using the following regex but it didnt work.

[Nn][Aa][Mm)[Ee][\=][Gg][Rr][Aa][Cc]

Rick

4 Replies 4

Rodrigo Gurriti
Level 3
Level 3

On IDM

Configuration > Signature Definition > Custom Signature Wizard than

Choose TCP as the protocol to inspect >

Click the Single TCP Connection radio button >

Select Other like service type >

Enter signature parameters >

Select your event action

To Regex string filed enter

[Nn][Aa][Mm)[Ee][\=][Gg][Rr][Aa][Cc]

enter 80 in the Service Ports field

and you should use from service

Or you can clone a tcp string from any other signatures and change the fields

Thanks rodrigogurrit. I tried this but it does not work. I should clarify that I am trying to fire on SSL(port443) in this case. I adjusted the service port from 80 to 443 but kept everything else the same. What I'm trying to do is fire on the SSL certificate name which I can see in a trace.

Rick

hummm its a good question because 443 is encrypted and the IPS cannot see what is going on.

Sorry

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

get rid of the backslash, the equal sign is not a metacharacter that needs escaping. What engine are you using?

I'm guessing you're talking about a server certs? I would suggest the "string tcp" engine and make sure you are using the direction "from service".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card