Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS SENCORS ALLOCATIONS

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Please Expert , examine the attached digaram and tell if you do agree with my interfaces allocation of the dedicate IPS 4215,looks like one is the C&C on the Inside,

in order to lanch the IDM mangment, and the other 2 sensors interfaces looks lile one sensing on the outside and one sensing on the DMZ along with the inline mode

to fully protect the the I-BANKING and the SMS server,so plz advise me for the optimum and Robust design that is switable to my attached topology

Waitng ur kind response

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amadou TOURE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

To have best protection you should be in inline mode and the design would  depend on whether you have vlan on your DMZ or not.

Do you have Vlan in your DMZ segment ?

regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Amadou TOURE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

To have best protection you should be in inline mode and the design would  depend on whether you have vlan on your DMZ or not.

Do you have Vlan in your DMZ segment ?

regards

hello

yes i have vlan for DMZ

Hello,

after a quick verification on Cisco Website, it seems that the 4215 is end-of-life and sales so it would be better to upgrade the hardware before putting in production a device which will face a lack of support.

In regards to the design you have two options in my view :

1. INLINE MODE with inline vlan pair or vlan group in the case where your servers are in different vlan in DMZ

2. PROMISCUOUS MODE with shun depending of the type of router or switch that you have

I added promiscuous mode in regards to your statement about availability.

In regard to your environment the options for availability are :

1. hardware and/or software bypass, I'm not so sure if the harware bypass card is supported by the 4215 device

2. install a second IPS or use a cable between the switches where IPS is connected. In this case you'll need spanning-tree configuration on ports

I'm not convinced about about the efficiency of the sensing link outside the network, may be for anomaly detection purposes ?

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card