cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Services for ASA5512-X

Steve Lang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I already have an ASA5512-X and would like to implement IPS. I'm aware of the license needed, however I cannot find anything that says if I need the subscription service. The IPS bundle says it includes the service, but there seems to be a contract number for the 5512-X IPS service. Do I need to purchase the IPS Services or will the IPS license include as such.

Thanks in advance

Steve

4 Replies 4

oguevara08
Level 1
Level 1

Are you asking if the IPS portion can be enable with out a subscription?

I am not sure if this answers your question but the 5512-x that I manage was purchased with the CX/IPS license for x-years of updates.

If it makes a difference I also used to manage a 5510 with the IPS module with no subscription. It always bothered me because that is like running an antivirus software with no updates.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I'm fully aware of the subscription needed for updates on the First Gen ASA's. I see the correlation, it would bother me too.

I know the license unlocks the IPS features, but am not sure about the updates. Thanks for the info on the license. 

Please see my answer in this related thread.

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would personally recommend that you go with Sourecire. The legacy Cisco IPS was just announced EOL/EOS and I would not be surprised if CX comes next. Cisco is not going spend R&D $$$ for two products that perform very similar functions. 

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card