cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac address filtering - blocking dhcp intruder

paulnigel
Level 1
Level 1

for those dhcp enable port, what is the best way to block intruder from grabbing addresses. Is META IP safe DHCP a solution?

6 Replies 6

jlimbo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

I just want to clarify your query. From your post you mention that you want to block intruders from grabbing dhcp addresses using your IPS is that correct?

Hi jlimbo,

I am not sure I am in the right place or not. no not the IPS. just the cisco switches. I want to prevent unauthorized people from plugging into any network point to grab DHCP addresses inorder to gain network access.

besides limiting access using mac address on the switches, is there any other solution. Is Meta IP safe DHCP a solution?

This question is better suited for general security rather than the IPS/IDS Forum.

To answer your question, NAC appliance sounds like a solution you may be interested in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps6128/index.html

If you have further question please direct them to Security General Forum please.

I hope that helped.

-jonathan

thanks Jonathan,

I will go to the general forum.

Hello Paul,

Maybe filtering udp on port 67 and 68 on the interfaces connected to the hosts will help you.

As it would filter dhcp request and replies.

what kind of switch are you using?

HTH,

if it does please rate this post.

Vlad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card