cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MARS - events per second

p-allen
Level 1
Level 1

How can I tell how many events per second our MARS 100 is receiving?

3 Replies 3

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

You can go into Admin->System Maintenance->View log files. Change the level to "info" and look for pnparser entries that look like this:

Thread 4101:PN-2016:message rate: 1416.305176 msgs/sec, total: 11200000 msgs, total avg rate: 723.042933 msgs/sec

Now, the last time I worked with Cisco TAC on a performance related issue...I was told these numbers weren't quite right(they were low), but they didn't tell me why. That was a long time ago though. We process over 90 million events/day on this MARS. That averages to over 1000 events/sec. At 7:30am on a weekday (even on a Friday morning before a holiday weekend), I would except numbers HIGHER than the average, not lower. So, I don't know what to think.

jserevitch
Level 1
Level 1

from the summary page the second graph down on the left is what you will need to look at. Purple are netflow events and dark blue are non-netflow events. These are calculated per minute. By reviewing the graph it should be obvious what the sustained rates are as well as your peaks and troughs.

Thanks both of you. It looks like we are at 27 events per second. Still room to grow :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card