Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

seed file problems on MARS - trying to discover seed devices on the fly

I just set up a seed file with 1 device included (as a test) for MARS - the device is a Cisco router - seems pretty simple - the seed file only has the device name, type (IOS) and IP address fields included - all other fields are empty. I'm trying to get this seed process working before using a more complete seed file (several hundred devices).

But when I try to add the device to MARS using the seed file as the input, I get a long pause - "discovering devices" - af ew minutes - this eventually times out with an error - tells me "discovery takes a long time" - and "to check the console for device status info", etc. Nothing gets added (so far, that I can see)

I don't even want MARS to discover these devices right now - just want a quick way (i.e. seed file) to bulk add them as reporting devices and I can tweek them later if need be.

Any hints / tips here would be appreciated.

thanks

-randy

1 REPLY

Re: seed file problems on MARS - trying to discover seed devices

crap - I think I just figured out (part of) the problem....

I specified "\" in the ftp path info on the d/l instead of "/". MARS did not complain, simply stalled for about 4 or 5 mintues and then produced a somewhat ambiguous / useless error message.

Debugging the log file on the ftp server side is what clued me in.

Chalk one up to brain-dead user, but even so, MARS could / should do a better job of erroring out on a simple typo like this one.

-randy

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content