Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Service Modules in 6500s, IPS/IDS and Stand-alone options.

Hi,

My first post here and it's a question regarding knowledge that I can't seem to find via CCW and through people I know.

Does the Service Module in the 6500 i.e. WS-SVC-ASASM1B-K9 come with or support an IPS/IDS option?

Does a stand-alone ASA5500 come with an installed IPS/IDS option.

Thanks.

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Re: Service Modules in 6500s, IPS/IDS and Stand-alone options.

> Does the Service Module in the 6500 i.e. WS-SVC-ASASM1B-K9 come with or support an IPS/IDS option?

On the Cat6k5 is the IDSM2. Thats a completely outdated module with 500 MBit/s of throuput. For the Datacenter designs Cisco recommends the standalone IPS 4500 instead a module if you need good IPS throughput.

> Does a stand-alone ASA5500 come with an installed IPS/IDS option.

The ASA has build-in IPS with a fixed signature-set that is not such rerlevant. The better way of doing IPS on the ASa is to have an optional IPS-module. These modules are didicated hardware on the legacy ASAs (the ones without -X) and pure software-modules on the new ASAs. The 5585 is an exception where IPS is also a dedicated hardware-module.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

--
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor: http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni
Views
Helpful
Replies