cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Signature 7304 - Microsoft Word File Parsing Overflow

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know what signature 7304 triggers on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Certain signatures have hidden/encrypted parameters because we have an obligation to protect information disclosed to us. Yes, it has to be that way.

The signature which started this thread, was in fact 7304-1, which is retired and disabled by default. It's for a specific file, and this was in fact a false positive. A revised signature (7304-1) should be out in the next couple releases.

The preferred method to resolve these issues, would be to open a TAC case and if they need assitance, they engage us. Sometimes we'll pick these up off the forum, bandwidth providing.

Its helpful to provide alert output - preferably with "verbose alert" enabled - for the signature in question, and any other relevant information.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

wsulym
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Due to non-disclosure agreements, we are not able to release details on exactly what the trigger is.

Can you give me an idea of the signature quality? or likelihood of false positives? My reason for asking...The signature was released and installed in early June. Over this past weekend (July) the signature began alerting (a lot). The attacker/trigger packet sources from my servers. My servers have a number of .doc files. Using my firewall logs (accessed URL - 304001) I can see that a good number of the my .doc files are triggering the IPS overflow alert (7304). Is there a way to determine if my .doc files are infected and causing visitors elevated risk? Most of the literature I have found focuses on the user opening an infected file.

wsulym
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

go ahead and contact me direct, walter@cisco.com

from the data i have available, i don't see a single firing of that in the past 2+ months

so it has been clean, up until just recently... has that sensor seen traffic to/from that server since early june?

anything changed on your network over that weekend or just prior to it? just thinking here.

i'd be interested in seeing some verbose alerts from the sensor for that signature. you'd need to add verbose alert as an action, and then i'd be fine with cli output of that signature - ssh to the sensor, then "te len 0", then "sh ev al | in id=7304" would pick up only that alert.

I'm thinking that could be generic question.

We have the same problem. Also in this signature.

But the question is, how can I find (in generic) source of false positives when the signature is encrypted (protected) ?

Why are they protected ? and Is it necessary that they should be ?

Certain signatures have hidden/encrypted parameters because we have an obligation to protect information disclosed to us. Yes, it has to be that way.

The signature which started this thread, was in fact 7304-1, which is retired and disabled by default. It's for a specific file, and this was in fact a false positive. A revised signature (7304-1) should be out in the next couple releases.

The preferred method to resolve these issues, would be to open a TAC case and if they need assitance, they engage us. Sometimes we'll pick these up off the forum, bandwidth providing.

Its helpful to provide alert output - preferably with "verbose alert" enabled - for the signature in question, and any other relevant information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card