Views
Helpful
Replies

solution for port monitoring

n.steffen
Level 1
Level 1

hello everybody,

we have 2 core 3550 12-G switch. the desktop switch a connected via gigainterface to the core switches. so, i will monitoring all the traffic in the vlans, what can i do? i have only one monitoring port on my 4210 ips. its a good solution when i make one monitor session on the first core switch and one monitor session on the second core switch. the sourceports for example: range giga 0/1 to giga 0/8 the destinaton port giga 0/10. on the destination port i plug a cable to a hub. from the second destination port on the other core switch i plug the cable to the same hub, so i can take one cable to the monitor interface on the ips from the hub.

many thanks for an answer...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

I see a lot of problems with your idea.

1) Do you have a hub with 1 Gb ports???

2) You probably will create a loop conecting both switches

3) STP will be blocking the ports

4) Should be there a lot of collision

etc.

I suggest you use your sensor to monitor only one port.

Alberto Giorgi from Spain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

I see a lot of problems with your idea.

1) Do you have a hub with 1 Gb ports???

2) You probably will create a loop conecting both switches

3) STP will be blocking the ports

4) Should be there a lot of collision

etc.

I suggest you use your sensor to monitor only one port.

Alberto Giorgi from Spain.

hi alberto,

ups.. i dont see this problems with my idea!

so i will take one monitor port for scanning the traffic! thanks for the suggest!

nik

n,steffen

I hope by now you have tried your solution and found sucess. We have used your method before when we had similar limitations. My suggestion is to take the spanning output from the first switch and connect it to a seperate VLAN in the second switch with no other ports assigned to it. Then span all the ports on the second switch to your sensor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card