cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP SYN/FIN from port 37892 to port 0

shadow.cipher
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone seen the TCP SYN/FIN 3140 signature trigger on TCP traffic from port 37892 to port 0? I have seen this many different times including from traffic coming from a VPN client to a Cisco VPN Concentrator. Just today I saw it coming from a client to an unknown(to me) host in which later I observed the two communicating via SSL. I am wondering if this is a bug in the Cisco VPN client software or possibly a bug in the way the IDS is decoding certain encrypted packets. Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

jlimbo
Level 1
Level 1

I assume you mean 3041-0. You should not see SYN and FIN flag set as the description denotes. This is not normal however a deeper look into this maybe warranted.

The VPN client should be using IPSec or SSL encryption so you should not normally see this at all. You possibly have any further information like a traffic sample I can have a further look at?

Yes, subsig 0. I know SYN/FIN is not RFC compliant and it was used to circumvent poorly coded packet filtering firewalls back a few years ago. These packets however have been seen coming from different networks, but usually having a similiar M.O.(dealing with encryption and NAT). I am thinking these are network artifacts which can and do occur, but the fact that I have seen it so many times is making me think it's a bug. I"ll try to dig up some packet captures for you to look at.

The signature itself has been released quite a long time ago and it has not changed. So I would attribute the change in frequency of alerts to a change in network traffic.

I have noticed this same sort of traffic on a network containing a Cisco VPNc 3030 v4.7.2 VPN concentrator. Is this expected of the VPN traffic? Or, like the original poster suspected, is it a bug with how the packets are encrypted?

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card