Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN-Based SPAN

n.steffen
Level 1
Level 1

hello everybody,

why can i only monitoring received (rx) traffic on a VLAN ?

thanks for an answer...

4 Replies 4

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What do you mean?

Are you talking about SPAN (mirrored) port?

Please explain a little more.

What Catalyst model are you using?

Alberto Giorgi from spain

hi alberto,

yes, i will monitoring all the traffic on the vlan (vlan based span). the plattform is 3550-12G switch. what can i do for monitorig all the traffic in our campus lan?i can take only one port (physical) for source traffic monitoring rx and tx (both), so i have 12 ports for monitorig...what can i do, i dont find a solution!

nik

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi again:

Ingress/Egress SPAN

In the example in the section Monitor VLANs with SPAN, traffic that enters and leaves the specified ports is monitored. The field Direction: transmit/receive shows this. The Catalyst 4500/4000, 5500/5000, and 6500/6000 series switches allow you to collect only egress (outbound) or only ingress (inbound) traffic on a particular port. Add the keyword rx (receive) or tx (transmit) to the end of the command. The default value is both (tx and rx).

set span source_port destination_port [rx | tx | both]

Have you defined only rx keyword?

I hope this help. Please rate if it does.

Best regards

Alberto Giorgi from spain.

hi,

yes, in the configuration for vlan monitoring i can only monitor rx traffic, why again?. an other solution is monitoring the source gigabitinterfaces...on this way i can only 1 interface take for rx and tx (both) monitoring, but i have 8 gigabitinterface for monitoring...the cisco 3550-12G plattform dosent support more sourceports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card